So, a few days ago, I went out shopping for my younger sister’s birthday. After a long debate with my mom over what we should buy for her, I had an idea. She is just stepping into the world of makeup, and obviously, there is one product that we have all started out makeup journey with-lipstick! And so, off I went to the MAC counter and grabbed a few favorites.
Now, it is hard to find lipsticks that don’t completely wash out, or look dull or pastel on Indian skin tones. And so, I thought I’d compile a list of my favorite lipsticks for all my brown-skinned beauties out there!
Before I begin, I just want to disclaim that this list is targeted more towards medium to tan skin tones (ie, NW30-NC42), as I fall between this range, and these are the lipsticks that have worked the best for me, personally.
The lipsticks that I’ve picked are also easily available in India, and are all permanent, so you guys can definitely go ahead and grab them whenever!
- NYX Extra Creamy Round Lipstick in #635 DOLLThis lipstick is a pink, veering a bit towards plum. It has an amazingly creamy formula, and is the kind of pink that is bright enough to be noticeable and add a little something to your look, but not bordering on neon or fuchsia, which would wash out Indian skin tones.
- Chambor Extreme Wear Transferproof Liquid Lipstick in #482This liquid lipstick has quickly become a holy grail lipper for me. Whenever I wear this shade, I get an insane amount of compliments, and on a number of occasions, I’ve been stopped in public and asked which shade of lipstick I’m wearing. This is a beautiful pink-y mauve shade, very Kylie Jenner-ish in my opinion. If there is one lipstick that you would pick up from this list, this has to be the one.
- M.A.C. Matte Lipstick in WhirlWhen Kylie Jenner revealed that she had used Whirl and Spice lipliners from M.A.C. for that infamous pink-y mauve pout, M.A.C. came out with the lipstick form of Whirl-and this lipstick lives up to all the expectations. It has the famous M.A.C. matte formula, and is the absolute perfect nude on Indian skin tones. This is my go-to nude for the days when I’m rocking a smokey eye. I can’t say enough good things about this color, and for good reason-no wonder this shade is always out of stock!
- Maybelline New York LipGradation in Mauve1The name says it all-it is a beautiful mauve that suits a wide range of skin tones. It is a great option for a go-to everyday lipper.
- Colorbar USA Ultimate 8hrs Stay Lipstick in Brown WaveThis rusty-brown color comes off a bit lighter than the color in the tube, but nonetheless, is a great color. It is perfect for those days when you want to wear something with a tinge of red, but want to keep it day-time appropriate.
- M.A.C. Satin Lipstick in VerveThis plum-brown shade is great for when you want to reach for something a little deeper. The satin formula is super comfortable, and doesn’t exaggerate fine lines on the lips.
- M.A.C. Matte Lipstick in Viva Glam 1Okay, okay. I know that this is the third M.A.C. lipstick on this list, but I promise that it’s the last. Well… maybe not. I can’t help it-M.A.C. lipsticks really are that good! This shade is my holy grail red, and I rock this whenever I want to play up my lips and make them the center of attention. While I did give Ruby Woo a try, I felt that it was too bright against my skin tone. And so, I picked up this maroon-red, and we’ve been inseparable since.
- Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in #301 BLACKCHERRYFor those of you who want to rock a darker lip, this lipstick is your best friend. The name says it all-the shade is a blackened cherry, and is extremely versatile. You can tap this on for a tint, or build it up. The shade is dark enough to make a statement, yet is daytime appropriate as well! (To be honest, I’d rock this shade to breakfast too. But that’s just me.)
- M.A.C. Lip Pencil in SpiceOkay, don’t kill me. I swear that this is the last M.A.C. item on this list.
While this is a lip liner, I have used it as a lipstick many times, and I love it! It makes a great base for your lipsticks, and you can even mix this shade in to create your own custom shade! This shade matches my natural lip color quite well, and I often use it to over-line my lips ever-so-slightly. (Okay, a lot. But that’s just because my lips are non-existent, okay?)
- NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in #10 MONTE CARLOThis shade looks much darker in the tube, but don’t be fooled- it is the perfect hybrid between a pink and a red, and is an awesome pick for when you need to add something to brighten up your look. Also, I apologize for the wonky swatch- I promise the color isn’t patchy or anything like that!
Well, that’s all for this post, guys. What are some of your favorite lip shades? Let me know in the comments below.
Don’t forget to subscribe to my blog if you haven’t already! See you soon x